Chicago Trading Company (CTC) helps the world price and manage risk. We pride ourselves on our strong values, our entrepreneurial spirit, and our commitment to doing the right thing. Our culture is highly collaborative across traders, quants, technologists and development teams who work together to solve the toughest problems our markets have to offer. We strive to make a positive impact on our industry, the lives of our employees, and the communities to which we belong.
Do you like organizing and leading diverse teams of individuals to accomplish a difficult goal? Are you a skilled decision maker that loves to transform ideas into action? As we work to massively scale our business from trading fewer than 20 names in late 2020 to a goal of over 100 in early 2022, the Equity Options Market Making (Equities) group at CTC is looking for a Program Manager to work closely with the senior team to manage our portfolio of work, help ensure the team is focused on the right things to maximize opportunity, and partner with technology teams to drive rapid completion of the highest-impact deliverables in a smart and scalable way. This role will interact with many areas of CTC on complex and large-scale projects, including trading leadership, tech leadership, the Equities trading desk, quant researchers/quant developers, software engineers, and support teams.
What You’ll Do
- Project portfolio ownership:
- Partner with leadership: Act as a thought partner and critical advisor to the Equities leadership team, including the Asset Head, senior trading leadership, risk managers, and quants.
- Manage the health of the overall portfolio of project work: As a partner with leadership, manage the queue of pending requests; assess the urgency, importance, and alignment with goals of incoming requests against OKRs. Optimize resource allocation across projects. Ensure team dev plans and career objectives are factored into who does what work. See interdependencies between projects. Make adjustments when team is spread too thin.
- Defining quarterly OKRs: Help drive OKR development by working with leadership to review performance on OKRs and define precise OKRs for the upcoming quarter, ensure they are measurable, assign owners, track progress, score, assess improvements.
- Project management disciplines:
- Project management: Work with a product owner (in some cases, you may also be the product owner) as a project manager on our more complex and critical innovation projects. Your role will be to assist with creating the project plan, assembling clear requirements, assigning work based on skills/interests, aligning stakeholders, managing project scope, ensuring accountability, and driving the project to completion.
- Driving accountability: Track progress and ensure required deliverables at all stages of a project lifecycle (clear requirements from product owner, achievement of milestones, prod delivery, post-release metrics and performance assessment) are met. Ensure project design incorporates consistent/replicable results as a success criterion (or explicitly agree when this is not needed), and create an action plan or ticket additional work if success criteria subsequently break.
- Scrum master: Lead or delegate daily standups, sprint planning, and retrospectives as needed. You would be responsible for guiding use of agile, and pushing us to continue to improve on our processes.
- Communication, coordination, and innovation:
- Help to instill healthy communication practices (with respect to meetings, email, Slack, Confluence, Jira, etc), including for hybrid office/remote teams, and be a model for those lines of communication at all levels.
- Act as a cross-discipline conduit between desks and firmwide initiatives. This will involve making sure desks are aware of relevant firmwide initiatives or relevant work on other desks, advocating for team needs when appropriate, and ensuring a smooth implementation process.
- Advance innovation within trading teams: Shepherd ideas from a 10K foot view to concrete proposals so that costs, benefits, and risk can be vetted. Bring energy and movement to ideas and decisions.
- Facilitate identification of staff needs, hiring, and onboarding: In order to achieve our goals, we will occasionally need additional Quant, Quant Trading, Quant Developer, and Developer staffing. Play an active role in need identification, then acquisition and onboarding of talent.
What We’re Looking For
- Demonstrated track record for producing successful plans, ensuring responsibilities, monitoring progress, and appropriately communicating status.
- Strong understanding of markets and how CTC makes money to act as an effective partner in prioritization decisions. Specific understanding of CTC trading systems and technology disciplines (EMM, ETUX, etc.) is a major plus.
- Experience managing multiple projects and a thorough understanding of Project Management disciplines such as Agile.
- Able to collaborate across the firm across all fields of the business, helping to bridge gaps between trading, quant, and technology
- Can effectively balance decisions around short vs. long term profits and normal vs. busy markets
- Positive culture carrier that represents CTC values both within and across teams
- Supportive of experimentation, failing forward, and appropriate risk taking
- A passionate individual that gains energy from rallying people to act and inspiring the team to move forward; experience in career management for talented team members is a plus
We strongly believe in the well-being of our employees and their families, so we offer outstanding benefits to support you both professionally and personally. These benefits include generous medical coverage, paid parental leave, free breakfast and lunch (plus healthy snacks, of course), wellness reimbursement, quarterly recharge days, and a variety of other benefits focused on providing the best employee experience.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At CTC, we aim to cultivate a workplace that celebrates diversity and each person feels included, engaged and empowered. Where each of us feels we belong. We are committed to having a diverse workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
If you have a disability and believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to apply for a position, please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com. Note that emails sent to this email account for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.